Thursday, March 04, 2010

the lion thinks


There is a phrase in Spanish (or at least that we use in Mexico) that I have never quite understood: "the lion thinks everyone is like him". It kinda expresses that people assume everyone behave or think on their terms. Or at least that is how I interpret it.

For me, that is the case, I act on the assumption that people act on my terms. I assume that people are honest. I assume that people want to be happy. I assume that people do not want to harm others and that if they do it is due to ignorance and they did not really mean to. I assume that people are good, that people are sincere, that people want the best for humankind and the planet.

During the last few months I have come to realise that maybe this is not the case (which is sad, really). Perhaps there are people out there who are mean (or, let´s say, harm others even if it was unintentional). There are people out there who steal your energy because they are just looking for an ego-boost and do not care if others´ feelings get damaged along the way. They play a Pushey-Pulley Game (http://www.baggagereclaim.co.uk/dating-games-the-pushey-pulley-game/) for whatever reasons without looking at their (intended or unintended) consequences. Without reaching out there and actually looking.

Oh well,

I don´t know.

The truth is that lately I no longer feel like a lion;
I feel like a wet muddy cat that has been wandering around rainy roads for a while.

And even so,
I know
that I did my best,
that I gave my best,
that I was honest,
(and even if that is the only consolation that this soaked kitten has)
que el león piensa que todos son de su condición.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't think it's that Spanish